Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Grilled Kabeljou with cauliflower mash


I recently had my brother in law staying with us for a few weeks. On his last day here, I realised I hadn't treated him to a proper cape fish meal, apart from fish and chips at the harbor. 

I popped in at my local fish shop, Fish4Africa, and they had just received some Kabeljou (Dusky Kob) which they assured me had been swimming that morning. I got the littlest one they had and had them gut and butterfly it for me. 

When I got home I stuffed it with lots of fresh thyme and mint (as that was all that was available in my garden), chopped onion, lots of garlic, a little ginger, salt and pepper. 

I tossed together a salad with the odds and ends in the fridge and made up a cauliflower mash to go with it. 


I grilled the fish, which had been tightly sealed up in tin foil, under a searing hot grill for 10 minutes on the one side and 10 minutes on the other. Then I let it rest for 10 minutes in the oven after I had turned off the heat, before opening up the foil and serving the fish. It was perfect - so juicy and tender. I did think that I may have added too much thyme as the flavor of the fish is so delicate. Perhaps I will try parsley next time. 

The caulifower mash was a revelation for me. I had never made it before and was experimenting with it for a new client. I have pasted the recipe below. It is such a fantastic low carb replacement for mashed potato.

Cauliflower mash
Served 4 side portions

500g cauliflower, stems trimmed
1 Tbsp of olive oil or butter
2 Tbsp of low fat or fat free cream cheese
1 tsp of Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the cauliflower until tender in salted water. Do not over boil or the taste will be terrible. Drain well and blend the remaining ingredients.

Reheat on the stove, stirring all the time till warm or in the microwave. 

4 comments:

  1. YUM! I have noticed that fish in the Cape does seem to lash our Durban fish ;) you guys are pretty lucky down there! Anyways - this is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky we are! Sadly I've never been to Durban though... sad how we seem to miss out on so much in our own countries. Definitely on my to do list though.

      Delete
  2. Cauliflower rice is also bril - grate a cauliflower, microwave for 5 mins and ... done! Don't add water, as the cauliflower has enough water of its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome tip! Thanks for sharing. Just posted a new recipe using a cauliflower tortilla to make a wrap. I almost never bought cauliflower before and now its a staple buy.

      Delete