Monday, December 6, 2010

Cup Cakes for Cuma




Recently it was the birthday of my nephew's best friend, Cuma. I decided that some cup cake baking was in order. I used a Vanilla Sponge recipe I found at my Mom's house the other day in this divine Italian cook book. I'm not really a sponge cake gal myself but this one is dense, moist and super quick and easy. I served it for guests the other night (as a cake) filled with macerated berries and soft whipped cream... mmm...

Vanilla Sponge Cake

250g Butter, just melted but not oily, plus extra to grease the pan

250g (1 ¼ cups) castor sugar

4 large eggs, beaten

1tsp vanilla extract

225g (1 ½ cups) cake flour

25g (2 Tbsp) corn flour

2 tsp baking powder

Squeeze of lemon juice

Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Butter a 25cm shallow round cake tin. Whisk the melted butter and sugar until light and fluffy, slowly beat in the eggs, vanilla and lemon. Gradually sift in the flour, corn flour and baking powder. Pour into the tin and bake until golden and springy for about 20 – 25 minutes.

This mixture is also ideal for cup cakes. I makes about 20 cup cakes and needs to bake for 10 – 15 minute.

Remove from tin when cooled. You can serve this plain, dusted with icing sugar. I like to fill this cake with sugared mashed up berries, soft whipped cream and dusted with icing sugar.

Let the kids have fun with different coloured butter icings and decorations if using this recipe for cup cakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment