Monday, June 6, 2011

Grilled black mushrooms topped with Camembert.

The fact that I am a mushroom fiend is no secret so writing about them a lot is going to be part and parcel of this blog as I eat them as often as I can. I had them for breakfast and for dinner yesterday and could have them for lunch today again if I had any in the fridge!

The grilled black mushrooms we had for breakfast yesterday are a stalwart in my cooking repertoire, I do them as an hors d'oeuvre, a side dish, main course, I do them as a breakfast dish… they are that versatile and that good. As an hors d’oerve I would choose smaller black or brown mushrooms and work my way up size wise. If I find those massive black mushrooms they would most certainly be a main course served as one would a steak and are definitely as tasty!

The way I did them yesterday was set the oven on grill, laid the mushrooms stems up on a baking tray, I sliced garlic into thin slices and laid them in a circle around the stem, topped that with thin slices of butter and a little herb salt. Once the mushrooms had grilled for about 10 minutes, starting to shrivel at the edges and brown a little, I laid two slices of Camembert on each mushroom and grilled that until there were just melted and starting to bubble. The Camembert is not essential except that it is frickin delicious and adds a creamy salty stickiness which I would prefer not to do without.

I do however have another way of doing them and that is to dollop a heaped teaspoon of good basil pesto on to each mushroom and grill it before topping it with camembert which is also a fabulous way of the doing them!

Last week I did them with my roasted beetroot dish and creamy mashed potato and it was to die for!

No comments:

Post a Comment