Friday, November 18, 2011

Indian comfort food!

So I said that dahl (lentils) and rice was all I’ve been eating lately cause of my dodgy tummy, and that it wasn’t really blog worthy. Well, I have changed my mind. Mild lentil curries served with soft steamed rice must be my ultimate comfort food. I have eaten this combination in various forms for the last six days and am not sick of it yet. A friend came to visit me yesterday, so I decided not to deviate from my theme however just to make a slightly more sophisticated version.

As I made this curry I was keeping one of my favourite dishes at Kebab Mahal in mind and even if it’s not quite the same, it was damned delicious and as with most curries tasted even better today. Use it as a side dish to a meaty curry or as the main event if you’re a vego or just enjoying a meat free meal. It is such a satisfying meal.

Super yum lentil curry

Makes 4 main course portions

1 Tbsp of oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

1 Tbsp of finely chopped ginger or ginger paste

1 Tbsp of butter

2 Tbsp of paprika paste or powder

1 tsp of cumin

1 tsp of coriander

1 tsp of turmeric

1 tsp of garam marsala

½ tsp of chilli (more if you like it hot!)

½ tsp of salt (more if you’re me)

100g of tomato paste

2 tsp of lemon zest

½ a cup of cream

3 cups of cooked lentils

½ a cup of yogurt

In a medium pot fry the onion, garlic and ginger until soft and golden. Add the butter and spices and fry for a minute. Add the tomato paste, lemon zest and cream and simmer while stirring for minute. Add the lentils and simmer till warmed through. Switch off the heat and add the youghurt.

Serve with basmati rice, roti and sambals.

No comments:

Post a Comment