Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Travel diary insert: Second chances



I have often heard it said “wouldn’t it be nice to be young again, but still have all the wisdom of age”. This thought just came up in my mind. I’ve just finished watching a movie on my flight from Istanbul to Nice about second chances. It just dawned on me that I am on the brink of what may be very similar to a second chance.

When I was 21 (14 years ago… an astrological significant number too, I think) I also embarked on long journey. The first away from my family, friends and comfort zone. Something happened to me on that journey, something that I have never been able to explain to myself. I became paralyzed – emotionally and mentally paralyzed. I just couldn’t do anything I had set out to do. It wasn’t that I failed as such. I just didn’t even try. I still feel really ashamed and puzzled when I think about it.

These thoughts and fears have been surfacing again, just as I get ready for my second long journey away from my family, friends and comfort zone. But I am such a different person today than I was 14 years ago. I like to think that life has forged me into sturdier stuff. I look forward to this second chance and to proving to myself that I am the free spirited, go getting person I have always wanted to be. 

2 comments:

  1. I know that you are, even if you don't yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nothing but faith and love in you. show them what you are made of

    ReplyDelete