Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Super quick cereal bars


This morning a friend of mine sent me a link to a recipe for cereal bars. The recipes was so simple and I had all the ingredients at home, so I whipped up a batch immediately! Naturally I adjusted it here and there to suit my needs and tastes, but essentially it's almost the same!

My only regret is that I have now eaten 8 squares and am not hungry for my very healthy lunch which is waiting for me... I totally deserve these thighs of mine!


So with my over eaters remorse I started packaging them into cute gift packs. I feel much better now!


Cereal bars
Makes about 40 – 3cm x 3cm x 2cm squares (I’m guessing I didn’t measure them ;-))

½ a cup of nut butter (peanut, almond – I used cashew)
½ a cup of honey (use golden syrup for a cheaper option)
½ a cup of chopped nuts (use your favourite, I used raw almonds), roasted
½ a cup of omega mix seeds (sesame, sunflower, flax, pumpkin etc.), roasted
1 cup of oats (rolled or plain jungle oats), roasted
1 cup of rice crispies
¾ cup of dried cranberries (raisins, or your favourite dried fruit chopped up are also fine)
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1 pinch of salt

In a pan on medium heat dry roast the nuts, seeds and oats – keep a sharp eye on these as they can burn easily. Melt the honey and nut butter together and combine until smooth. Mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Pour into a small greased (or lined) cookie pan. Flatten and compact the mixture with two slightly wet spatulas (you can use your moistened fingers too). If your pan is too big for the mixture (as mine was) don't use the whole pan for the mixture, create a rectangle the right depth (about 2 cm) pulling the mixture together with the spatulas and straightening out the sides.

Place in the freezer for half an hour until set and cooled. Turn out onto a board and cut into the desired sizes. Store in an airtight container.

Great for snacks, treats and lunch boxes.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely YUMMY!!! I made these last night for my littlies...perfect lunchbox treat! Your recipes are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh - thank you! Remade them this weekend for a friend and managed to gobble down about 10 before they went into the box... love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started keeping half the batch in the freezer...they defrost perfectly in time for school snack-time. The last batch I made with chopped, dried apricots - divine!!

    ReplyDelete