Thursday, January 19, 2012

Aubergine Masala



I have never particularly cared for aubergines, but lately I have more and more often been encountering aubergine dishes which have been really good. I think the secret for me is that they need to be cooked long enough to loose their spongy texture and go over to the soft creamy texture and nutty flavor. 


Last week a client asked me to cooked a dish, among others, which she had gotten from a magazine (I don't recall the magazine). It was fabulously spicy nutty creamy and moreish and I knew I would have to cook it for Adam as he loves aubergines and I hardly ever cook them for him. 


I have modified the recipe a little taking the amount of spices called for down a little and have adjusted the method somewhat to make it a little easier, less messy and I have cooked it  a bit longer to achieve that soft texture I like. 


For my client the aubergine dish was paired with a grilled fillet, lemony crispy potato wedges and green salad. 


I am really looking forward to my dinner tonight. 


Aubergine Masala
Serves 4

60ml of Olive or sunflower oil (30ml first and then dashes as needed to prevent sticking)
2 medium aubergines, cut into large cubes
2 tsp (10ml) of mustard seeds
2 tsp (10ml) of cumin seeds
2 tsp (10ml) of garum masala
A pinch of saffron (optional)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp of fresh ginger, finely chopped
Fresh chopped chilli to taste
1 tsp of salt (or to taste)
2 fresh tomato, chopped
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped (I didn’t have any so I used basil and mint from my garden)

On medium high heat in a large no stick frying pan or wok fry the aubergine until they have started to turn golden brown, about 10 – 15 minutes.

Add the spices and fry for a minute. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for a further 10 – 15 minutes. You can add dashes of water while frying to prevent sticking or burning and this will speed up the cooking too.

Drop the pan to low heat, stir in the tomatoes, cover with a lid allow this to cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring every now and again to prevent sticking or burning. You can cook this for longer if the aubergines are not yet soft and creamy in texture.

Stir in the herbs just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment