Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Truffle scented cream cheese and lentil dip


The last gathering I produced this dip at - what a fabulous day! 

Last week I mentioned a dip for crudités I had made, which I would have to remake right away. The reasons were both because it was so good and also because I hadn’t recorded the ingredients while making it and therefor couldn't share the recipe with you. Turns out, I’ve made it twice since then. It is my new favourite thing.


The name and look of it are quite unassuming but the taste has everything a good dip should have and then some – rich, creamy, savoury, salty base flavour to lift the fresh crisp veggies it is served with. The truffle flavour comes through just strongly enough to add a lovely earthy depth to it, but not too strongly to overpower the other flavours. 


Truffle oil can be heinously expensive and hard to come by. I bought this truffle flavoured oil at Woollies for R42, it may not be the most authentic, but still has the fabulous aroma which does the trick. If you have the real thing available, so much the better. I've been using it non stop, a little goes a long way. 


Truffle scented cream cheese and lentil dip
Makes about a cup of dip

125g of creamed cheese (low fat or full cream)
½ a cup of soft cooked lentils (I used green lentils)
1 tsp of truffle oil
½ a tsp of salt (or to taste)
¼ tsp of freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
3 – 5 Tbsp of water

Combine the above ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mash with a fork to combine. Add as much water as you need to achieve the consistency you like. The dip should hold its shape but not be too thick. Serve with your favourite dipping veggies. I like cucumber, carrots, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, baby marrow and blanched asparagus.


PS - if you haven't already voted for me in the Eat in top local food blog awards - please do so by clicking on the icon below, then click on the pink voting button at the top of the page and following the prompts. 


If you really really like my blog, then share it with your friends on facebook or twitter by clicking the share buttons on left side of this blog. 






1 comment: