Thursday, February 9, 2012

Warning - this pasta could lead to over eating!



Adam is working tonight at the State of the Nation Address so I thought I would treat myself to a little bacon in my dinner. I am also teaching later so I thought I'd just make a quick pasta, nothing fancy, to eat while finishing some work on my laptop. I have just scoffed down two massive bowls and am now groaning with remorse. But man was it good. 


I had no intention of blogging about this so didn't keep exact notes about the ingredients, but luckily it's still fresh in my memory so here goes.


Bacon, mushroom, baby marrow and fresh tomato pasta
Serves two normal people and one glutton aka me


150g of Barilla spaghettini no.3 (trust me and just get that specific pasta)
4 tbsp of olive oil
About a cup of chopped up brown mushrooms
Half a packet of streaky bacon, sliced into smallish bits
A generous grind of black pepper
4 average sized courgettes, thinly sliced into long strips
1 clove of garlic, finely sliced
1/2 a large ripe tomato, diced into smallish pieces
1 round of feta, crumbled
A small handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped


Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.


Fry the mushrooms and bacon on medium-high heat in olive oil for about 10 minutes or until they are browning and about half their original size. Add the courgettes and garlic and fry for a minute or two. Add a dash of water to the pan to generate some steam, which will help cook the courgettes quickly. Remove from the heat and add the fresh tomato and feta. Add the pasta and toss to combine. Divide into serving plates and top with the fresh basil. Add salt if needed, but the bacon and feta should have added quite a bit of saltiness. 


Call me crazy but I am in love with spaghettini! I would never have thought it could possibly make any real difference and only bought it because PnP were out of normal spaghetti. There is something really great about the texture and mouth feel. Yum, I want more. 


PS - if you haven't already voted for me in the Eat In top local food blog awards - please do so by clicking on the icon below, then click on the pink voting button at the top of the page and following the prompts.


If you really really like my blog, then share it with your friends on facebook or twitter by clicking the share buttons on the left side of this page. 




No comments:

Post a Comment